Indiana’s black state legislators will hold a series of town halls around the state, beginning this weekend.
This is the third year for the Indiana Black Legislative Caucus’s town halls. Caucus Chair Rep. Cherrish Pryor (D-Indianapolis) says the events help lawmakers tell constituents about the results of the legislative session and give citizens an opportunity to connect with their government.
“We invite the mayors to come. We also want to make sure that the legislators in that area attend as well,” Pryor says.
All the current members of the caucus are Democrats. But Pryor says they emphasize they want all interested constituents to attend.
“The focus is not on being Democrat or Republican," Pryor says. "It’s providing the information to people.”
IBLC Town Hall Schedule – all meetings from noon to 2 p.m. local time:
- Indianapolis, April 7, Julia M. Carson Government Center, 300 E. Fall Creek Parkway North.
- East Chicago, April 14, St. Mark AME Church, 4200 Alder Street.
- South Bend, April 21, United Auto Workers Local 5, 1426 S. Main Street.
- Fort Wayne, May 12, Pilgrim Baptist Church of Fort Wayne, 1331 Gay Street.
- Terre Haute, May 9, Spruce Street AME Church, 1660 Spruce Street.
- Evansville, June 2, location to be determined