John T. Myers bridge to get facelift in 2014

Oct 29, 2013

The pedestrian bridge between Lafayette and West Lafayette will be closed from time to time next year due to construction.

Credit Indiana Office of Tourism

Lafayette Mayor Tony Roswarski says the work will prevent festivals from using the venue, but pedestrians will have access most of the time.

“We’ll try to keep an 8-10 feet wide area where people can walk back and forth while we work on different sections, but there will be some times when it will be totally closed.”

One of those times is when crews work on the small bridge over the railroad tracks. That’s expected to take 6 weeks. The scope of the project involves building new ramps, rebuilding decking, putting in new railing and rebuilding the elevators.

“All that will be left (of the elevators) will be the shaft and the car,” Roswarski says. “It’s going to have all new mechanical parts.”

Roswarski says Riehle Plaza and the Depot will remain open for events during construction, which will begin in the spring and should wrap up in August.

Federal funds will cover 80% of the project cost with Lafayette, West Lafayette and the county sharing the remaining 20%.