Projected COVID-19 Surge In Indiana Not As Bad As Previously Feared

Apr 13, 2020

 

Gov. Eric Holcomb says the sacrifices Hoosiers have made so far have made a positive difference in the data around COVID-19.
Credit Justin Hicks / IPB News

Indiana officials say the COVID-19 surge they’re expecting is still to come – though it shouldn’t be as bad as initially projected.

State leaders in recent weeks expected the novel coronavirus surge to hit Hoosier health care systems beginning in mid-April and lasting well into May.

Now, State Health Commissioner Dr. Kris Box says the latest projections say the surge will hit Indianapolis in late April and the rest of the state in early May. And she says she doesn’t think it will be as bad as feared.

“Which is the result of all the very strict guidelines and actually the requirements that we’ve had for social distancing in this state,” Box says.

Gov. Eric Holcomb says the sacrifices Hoosiers have made so far have made a positive difference in the data.

“But what we don’t want to do is come up short or relax at the wrong time and then see another wave come back,” Holcomb says

READ MORE: Can I Go For A Walk? Here's What The Expanded 'Stay-At-Home' Order Really Does

LEE MAS: ¿Puedo Salir A Caminar? Esto Es Lo Que Significa Una Orden De Permanecer En Casa

Holcomb says he’s exploring more tweaks to the current “Stay-At-Home” order. That order expires next Monday and will likely be extended.

Contact Brandon at bsmith@ipbs.org or follow him on Twitter at @brandonjsmith5.

This is a rapidly evolving story, and we are working hard to bring you the most up-to-date information. However, we recommend checking the websites of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or the Indiana State Department of Health for the most recent numbers of COVID-19 cases.