Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
WBAA's HD Radio channels will be off-air while a critical piece of equipment undergoes repairs. This will not impact WBAA News or WBAA Classical FM, AM 920 or the live stream of all channels. Repairs could be done as soon as February 12. Thank you for your patience during this process.

Potential Pence Challenger Announces Interest In GOP Gubernatorial Nomination

Noah Coffey
/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/noahwesley/

It looks like Governor Mike Pence could have his first challenger on the Republican ticket when he runs for re-election in 2016.

Indiana businessman Bob Thomas who last week announced he was exploring a run for either Governor or Indiana‘s 3rd Congressional District, has decided to focus his efforts on the former.

Thomas made that statement Monday.

He says it will be difficult to beat Pence in the primary, but he plans on advertising himself as an alternative candidate who is focused of fixing what‘s wrong with Indiana.

"Drumming up support is going to be tough," says Thomas. "There's no question about that. It's just a matter of working what I consider to be the average Republican voter in the state and mobilizing some forces."

Thomas has owned car dealerships in Fort Wayne and Indianapolis for more than 30 years.

Thomas says if Pence wins the primary he believes the governor will lose the general election to a Democrat challenger.

Thomas says he will reach a final decision on whether to run for governor by July at the latest.

Related Content